A sustainable building is one that seeks to minimise its impact on the environment.
101 Collins Street Pty Ltd has achieved a 4.0 star NABERS Energy rating valid until October 2019, a 4.5 star NABERS Indoor Environment rating valid until October 2018 and a 4 star NABERS Water rating valid until October 2019.
Sustainability for 101 Collins Street is an essential part of our day to day thinking. That is, sustainability is not just about getting the right equipment and reducing the carbon footprint, it’s about caring how results are achieved.
To that end, 101 Collins Street aim to ensure that the following practices are implemented at all levels of our work.
- Do the job once, and do it right – thus save time and resources, particularly when life cycle considerations are evaluated.
- Appropriately recycle all waste and use materials which can be recycled. By way of example, all waste oil is sent for recycling, PVC plumbing is banned from the building as it has limited recycling possibilities.
- Use resources effectively and economically. This extends from optimising control strategies of major plant to ensuring lights in back of house areas are switched off when not required.
In addition, for sustainability projects within the 101 Collins Street Building to be adopted they must first satisfy the 101 Collins Street “Sustainability Guidelines”.
- is there “evidence” to justify the project
- does the project use proven and reliable technology
- does the project outcome preserve the 101 quality standard
- has the assessment been undertaken on a “Holistic” basis so as to ensure all impacts of the project are considered
- are the economic outcomes reasonable, although they are not to be considered as paramount
Only after these five guiding principles are satisfied are sustainability upgrades implemented.
Through the above processes, our aim is to ensure that 101 Collins is truly a sustainable enterprise over the long-term.